ULI Washington Evolving Lifestyles: Millennials Still Prefer the Urban Vibe
ULI Washington has updated its 2015 Millennial Survey and will release the results of this update at an event on November 1. A panel discussion of Millennials will highlight the details of the findings with their own experiences.
In 2015, the survey reported that Millennials living in the core of the D.C. area were optimistic about their futures in the City. At the time, the report detailed how the DC metro economy, from housing, entertainment and retail has enjoyed a boom based on this growing population.
The 2018 survey found that Millennials are still committed to the urban lifestyle in which they have been thriving. While they are older and are beginning to couple and form families, many expect to continue to live in areas that are walkable and diverse. When asked whether they can imagine raising children within the District, less than 20% say “definitely not.” Only 12% cannot envision raising children in suburban settings within the Beltway.
These are lower proportions than in 2015, so Millennials are gaining even greater comfort about remaining in Washington, D.C. and its core suburbs.
This event will explore the report findings, and include a panel of Millennials to discuss the implications of the survey and frame the debate that will help us chart the future.
Survey Findings Presentation:
- Yolanda Cole, Chair, ULI Washington and Principal, Hickok Cole Architects
- Brant Snyder, Vice President, PN Hoffman (moderator)
- Amy Donin, Redevelopment Program Manager, Office of Planning and Development, Montgomery County Department of General Services
- Marvin Poole, Director, Investments and Asset Management, Stonebridge Carras
- Erin Talkington, Vice President, RCLCO
- Hannah Untereiner, Senior Development Associate, Redbrick LMD
- Date: November 1, 2018
- Location: WeWork, 777 6th Street, NW, DC
- Time: 6:00 – 9:00 p.m.
- Private: Member $45/ Non-Member $60
- Public/Non-Profit: Member $30/ Non-Member $40
- Student: Member $30/ Non-Member $40
- Young Leader (<35): Member $30/ Non-Member $40