ULI Washington Presents:
Members Only Case Study – Award Winning Affordable-Housing: Columbia Hills Apartments
Wednesday, December 4, 2019
Time: 4:30 – 7:30 pm
Address: 1000 S Frederick Street, Arlington, VA 22204
4:30 – 5:00 pm Registration
5:00 – 5:05 pm Welcome Remarks
5:05 – 6:00 pm Panel Presentation
6:00 – 6:45 pm Walking Tours
6:45 – 7:30 pm Networking Reception Event Description:
Columbia Hills is a new affordable multifamily property in the Columbia Pike corridor in Arlington, Virginia. The project was made possible by the Arlington Partnership for Affordable Housing’s (APAH) forward-thinking land banking strategy coupled with its community-centered approach to leverage density.
APAH and KGD Architecture teamed up to solve a persistent challenge in the Washington, DC, metropolitan area – how do we create affordable housing in areas of limited land? The solution in this case: converting an existing surface parking lot servicing APAH’s garden style apartment complex, Columbia Grove Apartments, into a dense, narrow, attractive new high rise. Columbia Hills is the first new affordable housing development approved by Arlington County under the new Neighborhood Form Based Code, which seeks to provide new density and vitality to the 3.3-mile Columbia Pike corridor with no net loss of affordable homes. WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
- Expanding affordable housing opportunity through land banking and innovative financing.
- How the team navigated zoning to secure the development vison for the site.
- The architectural and planning objectives that shaped the project, as well as the tax credit restrictions.
- How the project fits into the broader redevelopment in the Columbia Pike Corridor, an area immediately adjacent to National Landing.
- Working closely with the community, how the team was able to secure support for the ambitious development.
- How Columbia Hills can serve as a model for future affordable housing developments in high-opportunity areas with limited land.
Nina Janopaul, President/CEO, APAH (Moderator)
Mike Chiappa, Director of Real Estate Development, APAH
Chris Gordon, Principal, KGD Architecture
Planner, Arlington County - TBD
Join us for a discussion on the background and success of this award winning affordable-housing project followed by a walking tour and networking reception.
Click on Register button at the top of the page
Call 800-321-5011 (mention meeting code #81382016)
Registration Deadline: Monday, December 2.
To check availability after the deadline date please call: 301-894-7310 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org